Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sarah's story

Friday, October 24th started out as any other day. Our daughter Sarah Aldridge is the Program Coordinator at the local senior center. She has always said that Callie and I can care and “clean up” the seniors, she just wants to entertain them. AND THAT SHE DOES!!!! She loves her job. She plans trips and takes seniors places, does ceramics with them and definitely “entertains them”. She freq. has bands or singers come and play at lunchtime. I remember about 2 wks. Ago a singer came and Sarah was taking turns on the dance floor with any senior that would dance with her. Center of it all – that’s our SARAH.
Last Friday she had planned an afternoon with a young gentleman to come and show “my seniors” his program call “Snakes and Scales”. She had approx. 50 people attend and made sure to invite friends with children to come. This young man brought spiders, scorpions, snakes, lizards, and a huge turtle and 2 boas about 20 feet long. For 1 ½ hrs after the show she made sure that all “My seniors” got a chance to have their picture taken with the large snake. She took the pictures herself.
The young man put everything away and was preparing to go and Sarah asked him to let her take “one more picture” of Allie (my granddaughter) and the snake. He took the snake out and Sarah grabbed a chair, turned it around backwards to strattle it to take the picture and went to sit down. There was not as much chair as she thought and she fell backwards and hit the back of her head very, very, hard. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital. She was in so much pain that they decided to do a CAT scan.
After the first CAT scan they said they needed another with dye. At this point we were a little concern thinking a small bleed or something.
And this is where our current story begins:
A little while later the MD came in and said he had some bad news. He started off by saying that the fall was “a blessing” because had the CAT scan not been done our story could have had a fast, split second ending.
He said they had found something unrelated to the fall. It was about 2 cm, and in the middle of her brain. He then said that he was sure it was and aneurysm. We didn’t realize how the world can change after a one word sentence.
He said that he had already made arrangements at the U of U, and life-flight was on the way. He was worried that the fall may have weakened it or that it was unstable and he wanted her down there within the hour.
My daughter Callie stayed behind to help load Sarah while the rest of us took off to the U of U Hospital.
We met her in the ER and stayed with her for about 1 hour before they took her for the MRI. After a couple of hours the report came in.
They were not sure what it was, but it was affecting the “river of cerebral spinal fluid between the left and right side of her brain” they considered her as “needing to be watched closely” and moved her to ICU, where she remains at this time.

Saturday, October 25th,

Sarah had a pretty good night. They arranged for us to stay at guest housing which is within walking distance from the hospital. It is just like a motel and they offer breakfast. It is a little cheaper, but definitely closer than a motel.
We stayed with her all day today waiting to hear. I neuro resident came and took Sarah and Ronnie to view the MRI and she was told that it is a TUMOR and not an aneurysm. It DOES NOT have feelers, but does have to be removed due to the interference of the fluids. It is deep. We were told that a surgeon would come and talk to us. We waited all day and as of midnight the “surgeon” had not come because the one they thought was going to do it is not sure he is the most qualified.
Sarah is alert, oriented and herself. She has gone thru all the emotions of anger, denial, etc. She is very scared and so are we. She keeps telling me that she has two children to finish raising.
We have contacted all the friends and family that we can think of. She has been placed on every prayer list and temple in the state and beyond. Just keep praying.

Sunday, October 26, 2008
She had a fairly good night. It is now 9:30 and Billy and Ronnie are over with her. I am with the kids and letting them sleep in and will join them later.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

ok, so no more dancing on chairs for Sarah! I knew she would need time to kick back and relax after high school soccer was over but geez!
Please let Sarah and her cute family know we are thinking about her a lot and hope she can come home soon. Her soccer family will miss her terribly at the banquet on Tuesday. I will gather up all her goodies and leave them at the house Wednesday morning. If someone stops by there will they please take them to her for me?
Give her and Ally a big hug for me and tell them I promise not to make them sell anymore cookie dough ever if they come home SOON!
Love you sarah!
Heidi Yates

Rocheal said...

Allsion this is Rocheal, you tell sarah that I love her and that I want to help with the kids and animals. I don't want the family to be beurden with this when the focus needs to be on sarah. Please let me do something she is a dear friend to me and I want to help. Let me know when I can go see her. Please give the kids a big hug from me Love Rocheal

Krystal said...

Oh Alison. This made me cry. I am praying so hard for her. I hope all goes well with the surgery. Thank you for letting me know. I know we have been out of touch since I had Addyson, but I do still care for you and your family greatly. PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do. I am happy to bring in a meal or anything - please keep me in mind when there is a need. Keep this posted when you can....I am sitting on the edge of my seat, eager to hear the news. I hope you are doing well also. Keep your chin up and have faith. We love you and are happy to assist in ANY way....please dont hesitate. Tell Sarah hello from me.
Much Love,
Krystal Jeppsen

Gayla said...

Sarah I've been praying for you and your family (and the doctors)I hope you can get better fast and come home where you belong! Gayla

Barbara Heldreth said...

Hi Sarah! I'm kinda new at this and may have sent the same message. Getting ready to go to the center but wanted you to know how much you mean to Denver and me. I'm not sure where I would be if it hadn't been for you about a year and a half ago. Well now its pay back time!!! Time for us to be there for you. If you need anything just ring. You are always in my prayers.